Distance from your location
In the first phase of construction the Frankopans raised the southern part of the Drivenik fortress with a circular defensive tower and high walls that enclosed a square courtyard. In the second phase a new external wall was built reinforced with round towers at the corners and at the entrance on the west side. Below the fortress is the Church of St Stephen from the 15th century, and the Parish Church of St Domnius is baroque, renovated in 1821. The Drivenik castle was once entered via a drawbridge over a moat. A wooden corridor for defence passed around the castle walls. From it one entered through a door in the corner towers, and with them one descended into its interior by steps. Inside the castle were residential buildings, storerooms, cellars and cisterns. After the collapse of the Zrinski-Frankopan Conspiracy Drivenik castle came into the possession of the Viennese Chamber. From that time on it lost its importance. In the mid-18th century the Bakar-Novi Vinodolski road was built and the inhabitants also descended from the hill into the valley where the present-day settlement of Drivenik was established.
385 51 248 730